It is Saturday and I am sitting in a cafe in Thies, using a friend's laptop and the wifi to write this posting. Yesterday, I returned from a 10 day long trip to the village of Ker Ndongo (~125 km from the city of Tamba) to shadow a health-sector volunteer. I went with the other Wolof-speaking health t
We met the volunteer at the nearby town of Koupentoum, then drove the rest of the way (>25 km) on a dirt path to get to her host-family's house. After we arrived, we all bathed, and then rested. The next morning, we went house-to-house with the volunteer to greet the villagers, then planned out the rest of our week (which involved an awful lot of activities). The volunteer had started a women's group that met weekly, and we did a number of training sessions with her women's group. For example, we did two sessions on building a tree nursery (which involved mixing manure and sand to make soil, and then planting seeds into the soil), a session involving making a lotion out of neem leaves (to serve as a mosquito repellent), and a sess
A couple of times during the stay, the villagers turned over some metal bowls and
The village stay was wonderful and informative. We are in the dry season right now, and food is beginning to get scarce for families. The lack of running water requires people to retrieve all of their water from the well, and as the water table recedes a little bit during the dry season, it becomes harder to do this. Farming at this point involves preparing the fields for the rainy season, but this does not require a whole lot of time. As a result, the men seemed to spend most of their time sitting around and drinking tea, while the women took care of the house. And how the women work here! They pull water from the wells (albeit with some help from the men), cook meals (in 120+ temperatures), maintain the houses and compounds, and take care of the kids. They are really amazing!
I'm back in Thies now, but I still wish that I was in the village. The volunteer stressed that things wouldn't be this easy immediately at the village, but that we would have to work hard to get the villagers organized in such a way that we could get stuff done. And that will be the hard part.
I am off to Dakar tomorrow to spend the day doing administrative stuff (I think we have to go to the embassy), and will be leaving for my site in about 2 weeks. I am raring to go!
Ba benaan yoon!
-Rithvik
P.S.
The photos that I've uploaded include photos of the volunteer (with the shaved head), the president of the village women's group (seen with the volunteer), the other Wolof-speaking trainee, our teacher (seen plucking a chicken with the other trainee), assorted members of the volunteer's host family, and a photo of villagers pulling water from the well at sunset.
4 comments:
We are very proud of you, Rithvik. Keep up the good work. It is heartening to see that you understand the difference between standard of life and quality of life. Your excitement for the adventure ahead is palpable. This is fantsatic.
Love
Appa
Hey Rihvik,
I follow your blog regularly and am truly amazed with your experiences. The world you describe helps give our lives a new perspective.
We wish you the very best and will keep following the blog to know more!
Love,
Tejan
I am your colleague Patrick’s dad. Thanks for this wonderful BLOG. There are several other BLOGs from your group that my wife and I have seen that have chronicled your time in Thies. Many of you have taken and posted pictures also. Good luck from Mrs Heyer and I in moving into the next phase of your Peace Corps adventure!
It was great to chat today. Just read the posts here and between the pictures and the text, it makes me feel like I were almost there. I am glad for the wonderfully rich experience you are gaining. Lovely text and pictures...
Love
Uma Athai
Post a Comment