Disclaimer

Note:
Unless otherwise specified, the views and opinions expressed in this blog are mine and do not represent those of the Peace Corps.

April 13, 2008

Four weeks in

Hello everyone, I'm sorry for not having posted sooner, but I've been so busy with training assignments and other stuff. But here's a general idea of whats going on here...

I received my actual site assignment earlier this week- I'm being placed in a Wolof-speaking village in central Senegal. In terms of how the village is, all I know is what I've been told: that the population is under 500 people, that there is no running water nor electricity (though this might change), and that the bathroom facilities are the best among the site assignments for all of the trainees in my stage. I'm hopeful about the electricity...

We were also allowed to leave Thies and its immediate vicinity for the first time since we've arrived, so a bunch of us took the opportunity to go to a beach town about 30 km away. Though the water was really cold, it was really nice to hang out there, even if for only a day.

We also did four visits to public health care facilities in the Thies area: a regional hospital, a health center, a health post, and a health hut. The visits reinforced the international disparity in health care quality, and showed how important it is to have adequate manpower and resources. There's an awful lot to be done.

Anyways, thats all from me for now. I'm really tired and have a test tomorrow that I need to study for.

So: Ba benaan yoon!

No comments: